P. (405) 609-3636 | F. (405) 609-3698
“Until Valir came to help, I was feeling this alone. You have nurses come and suddenly they are not just nurses anymore … they are friends.”
– “Bud” Fetters, patient
- Oklahoma Department of Health
- Oklahoma Attorney General
- Advance Directive Oklahoma Attorney General
- Frequently Asked Questions Oklahoma Bar Association
- What is the Advance Directive? Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma Advance Directive for Medical Care Oklahoma Palliative Resource Care Center
Learning About Death, Dying and Hospice
- American Hospice Foundation
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization, NHPCO
- On Our Own Terms, Moyers on Dying—PBS
Resources for Families and Patients
- Oklahoma Health Department
- Oklahoma Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- Oklahoma Department of Human Services Aging Services
- Meals On Wheels
- Mental Health Association
Resources for Donors
- Valir Foundation: A nonprofit organization established to provide funds to assist individuals with limited resources needing end-of-life care.
Links to Other Professional Associations
- Oklahoma Hospice & Palliative Care Association
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association
- Hospice Foundation of America
- Oklahoma Home Care Association
- National Association for Home Care
- Oncology Nursing Society
Caregiving and Advocacy Resources
- Grief and Loss Resources provides information on making funeral arrangements, dealing with financial matters, navigating the grieving process, and locating community bereavement resources
- The American Hospice Foundation offers resources and links for the grieving.
- Americans for Better Care of the Dying (ABCD) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to ensuring that all Americans can count on good end-of-life care. ABCD’s primary goals are to build momentum for reform, explore new methods and systems for delivering care and shape public policy through evidence-based understanding.
- Association for Death Education and Counseling (ADEC) is a multidisciplinary professional organization dedicated to promoting excellence in death education, bereavement counseling and care of the dying. Based on theory and quality research, ADEC provides information, support and resources to its multicultural members and, through its membership, to the public. ADEC offers a program leading to certification in Thanatology: Death, Dying and Bereavement (CT).
- Beliefnet is a multifaith independent site that features articles by the nation’s most accomplished and respected journalists in the fields of religion, spirituality and morality.
- Cancer.net The patient information Web site of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is designed to help patients and families make informed healthcare decisions. The site provides information about more than 85 types of cancer, clinical trials, coping, side effects, a “Find a Cancer Doctor” database, message boards, patient support organizations and more.
- CareGiver is an information resource on long term care.
- Completing a Life is an interactive Web site that invites patients and families to learn about the practical, emotional, spiritual and medical issues faced by those dealing with advanced illness.
- Dying Well offers resources for people facing life-limiting illness, their families, and their professional caregivers.
- ElderWeb is an award-winning site and is one of the oldest and largest eldercare sourcebooks on the Web.
- The End of Life is a National Public Radio series featuring the American Hospice Foundation in some of the reports.
- GriefandLoss.org offers a variety of resources and information on bereavement issues. Call toll-free at 1-866-797-2277 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time) daily for grief support from trained volunteers who themselves have experienced the death of a loved one.
- The Ground We Lived On originally aired on National Public Radio’s All Things Considered. “The Ground We Lived On” documents the loving relationship between journalist Adrian Nicole LeBlanc and her father in the last months of his life using audio recordings she made of their conversations from his bed in the family living room.
- Growth House, Inc. offers resources related to life-threatening illness and end-of-life care.
- InteliHealth provides credible information from the most trusted sources, including Harvard Medical School and the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, with health news and content as well as access to trackers, tools and risk assessments.
- Medicare Today is a broad-based partnership representing seniors, patients, healthcare groups, employers and others. Its mission is to educate and inform the public about the new Medicare prescription drug coverage and other benefits.